Help debugging R source code block output problem with :session

From: Dylan Schwilk
Subject: Help debugging R source code block output problem with :session
Date: Fri, 28 Aug 2020 15:11:55 -0500

I returned to an org file this week and found that I am getting some strange source code block output for R code when I use the :session header. I have been able to duplicate this with a minimal init file. I strongly suspect it is some problem at my end but perhaps folks here can help me know here to look? It occurs with a minimal emacs initialization.

First, here is a small org file example of the problem. In the second results block the ">" appears to be treated as a prompt line to strip from output but only when a session is started. This happens with any ">" in output when the :session header occurs. the problem is dramatic when printing tibbles where the column modes are enclosed in angle brackets.

test.org

** Test org babel R output prompt problem
#+begin_src R :results output
print("<X> <Y> <!>")
print("one <two> three")
print("end")
#+end_src

#+RESULTS:
: [1] "<X> <Y> <!>"
: [1] "one <two> three"
: [1] "end"

#+begin_src R :results output :session "NEW"
print("<X> <Y> <!>")
print("one <two> three")
print("end")
#+end_src

#+RESULTS:
: [1] "<
: <
: <!>"
: [1] "one <
: three"
: [1] "end"
<<<

The second block produces the bad output. This occurs with a minimal setup.
I start emacs with
emacs -Q -l "~/debugorg.el"

where debugorg.el is:

require 'package)