Re: tags-todo org-agenda-custom-command weirdness

From: Kyle Meyer
Subject: Re: tags-todo org-agenda-custom-command weirdness
Date: Mon, 15 Jun 2020 03:16:07 +0000

Stig Brautaset writes:

> I'm seeing some weirdness with tags-todo vs tags custom agenda commands.
> Below is the smallest case I've managed to narrow it down to. I would
> *expect* that all the a1-4 commands return the same results, and that
> the b1-4 return the same results. That is not what I'm seeing, however.
>
> (setq-default org-agenda-custom-commands
>             '(("a1" "A1" tags-todo "-PROJ/TODO")
>               ("a2" "A2" tags "-PROJ/TODO")
>               ("a3" "A3" ((tags-todo "-PROJ/TODO")))
>               ("a4" "A4" ((tags "-PROJ/TODO")))
>
>               ("b1" "B1" tags-todo "-PROJ/DONE")
>               ("b2" "B2" tags "-PROJ/DONE")
>               ("b3" "B3" ((tags-todo "-PROJ/DONE")))
>               ("b4" "B4" ((tags "-PROJ/DONE")))))

I agree with your expectation that a1-4 should be the same.  Why do you
expect that b1-4 would be?  Shouldn't tags-todo consider only none-DONE
todo items, in the same spirit as m versus M?  In other words, I'd
expect b1 and b3 to be empty by definition.

> The effect of a1 & a2 appears identical to eachother, and a3 & a4 too,
> but a1-2 and a3-4 differ (in that the former seems to include scheduled
> items, but the latter does not.)

It's helpful if you provide a minimal test file.  I've tried to come up
with one that I think should capture what you're describing.

* TODO h1                                                               :PROJ:
* TODO h2
* DONE h3                                                               :PROJ:
* DONE h4
* TODO h5                                                               :PROJ:
SCHEDULED: <2020-06-14 Sun>
* TODO h6
SCHEDULED: <2020-06-14 Sun>
* DONE h7                                                               :PROJ:
SCHEDULED: <2020-06-14 Sun>
* DONE h8
SCHEDULED: <2020-06-14 Sun>

With that, a1-4 all show:

    scratch:    TODO h2
    scratch:    TODO h6

That doesn't match what you're seeing.  I'm testing with 706970 checked
out, the commit you reported in your follow-up message.

> What I'm seeing for b1-4 is even weirder. Here I observe b1, b2 and b4
> have identical behaviour[*], but b3 is the odd one out: while the other
> three return a list of DONE non-project tasks, b3 doesn't find anything.
>
> [*] I suspect the reason b2 and b4 are identical is that I have no
> scheduled DONE tasks.

For b2 and b4, I see

    scratch:    DONE h4
    scratch:    DONE h8

b1 and b3 are empty, which I think is expected given the tags-todo type.