From: Eric Wong
Date: Mon, 8 Jun 2020 04:55:06 +0000

Eric Abrahamsen <eric@ericabrahamsen.net> wrote:
> Kyle Meyer <kyle@kyleam.com> writes:
>
> > [ +cc Eric Wong, mostly to say thanks for all the work he puts into
> >   public-inbox, which is the software behind these archives, but also so
> >   that he can correct me if I misrepresent any capabilities of or plans
> >   for public-inbox ]
>
> Thanks for this response, Kyle (and thanks for public-inbox, Eric)!

you're welcome, both :>

> You wouldn't really use one backend (nnweb) to provide search support
> for another (nntp). nnir can assign different search engines to
> different backends -- what a "search engine" boils down to is a function
> that accepts group search criteria, and returns groups and article
> numbers (and optional relevance scoring) for matching messages. So if
> public-inbox had some sort of an API that accepted a query and returned
> the above information in some sort of easily-digestible format, it
> wouldn't be hard to write a engine for it. Articles referenced in the
> search results would then be retrieved via NNTP, so the article numbers
> would need to correspond.

Fwiw, I've been trying to avoid exposing NNTP article numbers in
the HTTP endpoint in favor of Message-IDs because serial numbers
aren't decentralization-friendly.  Of course, sometimes
Message-IDs get reused, so public-inbox will return all messages
which match a particular Message-ID in those rare cases.

Btw, POST with the "&x=m" query parameter already allows search
to return a gzipped mboxrd.

And also what I just wrote about about JMAP/GraphQL in the other
message.

A read-only IMAP server is also coming with search support,
and IMAP UIDs will be equivalent to NNTP article numbers.