Re: [Bug] org-store-link should not insert a document level ID property

From: Nicolas Goaziou
Subject: Re: [Bug] org-store-link should not insert a document level ID property
Date: Thu, 14 May 2020 23:20:34 +0200

Hello,

Gustav Wikström <address@hidden> writes:

> I see some purposes. They maybe aren't for everyone, but they surely are
> there.
> 1) Attachments for the whole file without setting the DIR property.

OK. This makes sense, thank you.

> 2) Link targets, making the file name irrelevant for the links.

Again, the file name is relevant, so using id links instead of file
links in this situation doesn't buy us anything.

>> IIUC, currently, renaming the file breaks the association between the ID
>> and the file name. IOW, the ID is useless if you rename the file.
>
> As long as org-id-track-globally isn't set to nil I don't think what
> you write is true. And even if renaming the file would break the link
> it's just momentarily since regenerating the .org-id-locations file
> should make the link work again.

Regenerating ".org-id-locations" is not magical. It looks into
a predefined set of files. If the renaming moves the file out of this
set, there is no way it can associate again the ID to that file.

IOW, I wouldn't trust an ID more than a file name.

Nicolas Goaziou