Re: Customizable fixed indentation column

From: Nicolas Goaziou
Subject: Re: Customizable fixed indentation column
Date: Thu, 14 May 2020 15:52:49 +0200

Hello,

Panagiotis Vlantis <address@hidden> writes:

> This is my first time using the mailing list so please point out if
> I am going about this the wrong way.

Thank you for the patch.

> After searching a bit, I didn't find a way to specify a custom fixed
> indentation column in org sections; the current implementation
> automatically aligns content at the beginning of the line when
> `org-adapt-indentation' is set to nil, which I find somewhat
> restrictive (e.g., in this case, one should be careful when using
> lists beginning with '*' characters).

Starting list items with "*" is a terrible idea, indeed. However, it is
unlikely to break the document because list promotion commands handle
this case.

I'm not convinced the current implementation is restrictive. OOC, do you
know any text-related mode that allows indenting contents at any column?
Also please note that if your first line is indented, all indentation
below will follow.

> To that end, I modified the current implementation accordingly (and
> added some tests) in order to allow one to set the desired indentation
> column to something other than the 0th, where section contents will be
> aligned at if adaptive indentation is disabled.
>
> I don't know if others will find this feature useful but I'll go and
> include the patch here anyway. If you find this worth merging but
> should be modified somehow before that, I would be happy to do so.

Instead of creating a new variable, what about overloading
`org-adapt-indentation'? If it is a whole number, use it as indentation.
`nil' becomes an alias for 0.

WDYT?

Nicolas Goaziou