Re: Preventing org-cycle from scrolling the buffer

From: Marco Wahl
Subject: Re: Preventing org-cycle from scrolling the buffer
Date: Tue, 31 Mar 2020 17:29:39 +0200

Dmitrii Korobeinikov <address@hidden> writes:
> When calling org-cycle on a collapsed section which contains a lot of
> text, the headline is adjusted to the top of the page. Collapsing it
> doesn't revert the scroll, which makes it hard to quickly peek at
> what's in the section without getting disoriented. Is there a flag or
> some other way of turning off this autoscroll?

AFAICS this behavior can be controlled via customizable variable
org-cycle-hook { M-x customize-variable RET org-cycle-hook RET } by
removing entry org-optimize-window-after-visibility-change.

> Scroll revert wouldn't be so bad to have either, by the way (in
> addition to, not instead of, though). Since org knows when the cursor
> moves away from the headline after tabbing, it seems this feature can
> be implemented without too much hassle. I would even go as far as to
> suggest making it a default if it gets done.
>
> What do you think?

IDK.  AFAICS you are right with your argumentation.  I don't see the
need of that feature, though, yet.  But that's just me.  I think you are
the best candidate to try an implementation of the feature.

Best regards,
-- Marco