Re: OrgNV - alternative to deft

From: Juan José García-Ripoll
Subject: Re: OrgNV - alternative to deft
Date: Mon, 23 Mar 2020 23:48:21 +0100

Bob Newell <address@hidden> writes:
> You might take a look at my 'scraps' package. I created it a
> little while back and it does a fair amount of what you
> mention.

Thanks, looks very interesting. Does some of what I need, but I differ
in some design choices:

- I prefer the incremental search scheme a-la-deft instead of dired.
- I also do not care for file names and prefer to have editable titles /
summaries.
- A reason for this is that I care about linking and backlinking
notes. Fixing file name <-> title association makes the database static
and difficult to edit.
- I am also into having multiple folders for separating big categories
and areas of interest (hence the recursive approach).
- I also would like to attach multimedia / PDF's / images to the notes as
linked or embedded assets. This is easy if directories are allowed and
files filtered by extension.

In any case...

> I've got over 3,000 files taking up over 64 MB and it's still quite
> fast.

... your work proves that using grep is not such a bad idea after all
because of available memory and SSD's, as you say in the PDF.

--
Juan José García Ripoll

Quantum Information and Foundations Group
http://quinfog.hbar.es - http://juanjose.garciaripoll.com