Re: "peculiar" error with countdown timer in org-agenda

From: Ian Garmaise
Subject: Re: "peculiar" error with countdown timer in org-agenda
Date: Tue, 3 Mar 2020 12:21:03 -0500

Hi Marco,

I will check.  However I am on Windows 7-64 and to the best of my knowledge Dbus is not available for this platform.  There were some efforts to make it work but I don't think they are current.
In any case, as the error message said, this version of emacs isn't compiled with Dbus, which makes sense for a Windows version.
I will try to create my own handler and figure out why dbus notification is being attempted on a version of Emacs compiled without it.

Best,

Ian

On Tue, Mar 3, 2020 at 6:08 AM Marco Wahl <address@hidden> wrote:
Hi Ian,

Thanks for reporting.

> In Org-Agenda, I press ';' to start a countdown timer.
> I enter 1 minute to test.
> When timer reaches zero, I see this error in minibuffer
>
> dbus-call-method: peculiar error: "Emacs not compiled with dbus support"
>
> Also, timer display is not removed from mode-line as expected.

I checked this some and I think the problem lies in function
org-show-notification.  That function references and possibly uses
function notifications-notify which depends on a proper setup of the
dbus stuff.  I guess this is the gist of the bug.

You can place your own handler though.  For this set variable

    org-show-notification-handler

to e.g. function

   message

Can you please try this out?

About hunting the bug: possibly it would be good to add a check if the
dbus system is up.  Can this be done easily?  Or add a further
configuration item to indicate that the dbus system shall be used.

Best,
-- Marco

--
=====