Re: Survey: changing a few default settings for Org 9.4

From: Marco Wahl
Subject: Re: Survey: changing a few default settings for Org 9.4
Date: Wed, 19 Feb 2020 12:03:37 +0100

Bastien <address@hidden> writes:

> while Org 9.4 is on its way, I am considering changing a few default
> settings (10 options in total).  I have created a survey here:
>
> https://framadate.org/Ufc42EVxS2jO1Ajz
>
> Can you take a few minutes and express your opinion there?

Ok.  I'll go there in a minute.

> Here is the list of options and a line of justification - feel free to
> discuss this on the mailing list too, of course.

These changes look good to me.  Thanks for bringing this up.  Find a few
comments and a question below.

> - org-loop-over-headlines-in-active-region => t

I vote for => 'start-level.  Loop over headlines with same level as the
first.

> - org-agenda-loop-over-headlines-in-active-region => t
> - org-fontify-done-headline => t
> - org-hide-emphasis-markers => t
> - org-hide-macro-markers => t
> - org-refile-use-cache => t

> - org-special-ctrl-k => t
>
>   The default value for the sister option org-special-ctrl-a is set to
>   reversed and while this changes a fundamental Emacs command behavior
>   it feels useful.  I'd argue this is the same for org-special-ctrl-k:
>   setting it to t will feel natural.

AFAICS there is a contradiction between the documentation of
org-special-ctrl-k and the code!  Doc: kill the tags.  Code:
(org-align-tags).

Further I propose to delete the part " and possible the folded subtree
below the line" from the documentation.

> - org-src-tab-acts-natively => t
> - org-allow-promoting-top-level-subtree => t

Just an idea for the "reverse": provide a function to convert a comment
line to a heading (one level below the current level) and demote the
subtrees below.

> - Add org-tempo to org-modules

>   * We have regular meetings with https://www.emacs-doctor.com/

What are these meetings?