RE: attachment: link type export to HTML invalid attach dir

From: Gustav Wikström
Subject: RE: attachment: link type export to HTML invalid attach dir
Date: Fri, 14 Feb 2020 07:35:04 +0000

Hi,

Just a short note before leaving for work. I'm not trying to strong-arm
anything here. I'm just saying I don't think it's possible to remove the
reference without breaking functionality. The changes discussed in [0] and [1]
are in my opinion removed already. The reference to attachment we're talking
about here is something else. This string reference is not a change in the
design of org-element.el for links. The other was. And that's rolled back.

I'm sorry if this is perceived as disingenuous and being done with a bad
agenda. It's not. It's a discussion about design. Yes, we disagree about some
things. Nothing strange there. Let's talk it out and try to find the middle
ground. Which is what's going on. I'll respect the direction given by the
better Org moders out there. But in this case I'm simply stating that the
principles that needs to apply according to Nicolas will either break
attachment link functionality (it was broken before my change in 20d293b4a) or
require quite some thinking and/or code duplication in org-attach.el to get it
right. And I don't have the capacity for that redesign. Rolling back the change
to a broken state is ofc. still possible, but that is more of a regression in
my mind than the string-reference to attachment link types in org-element.el.

Which is why I think it's a decision for the maintainer of the project to step
in and say if it's fine to have broken attachment links, or if it's fine to let
attachment be used the way it is on line 3216 in org-element.el, while there is
hard-coded logic for file links the way it is on that line today.

Regards
Gustav