Re: “Literate” python?

From: Berry, Charles
Subject: Re: “Literate” python?
Date: Fri, 29 Nov 2019 19:22:54 +0000

> On Nov 29, 2019, at 9:54 AM, Norman Walsh <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> I’ve seen a couple of pointers recently to using Org mode and tangle
> to write more literate Emacs configurations. I use Org+babel all the
> time to write “interactive” documents, so I thought I’d try out tangle
> from Org.
>
> I didn’t want to start with something as comlicated as my Emacs
> config :-) so I figured I’d kick the tires with a small python
> program. That did not end well.
>
> Consider:
>
> #+TITLE: Python literate programming
>
> It starts off as a completely standard Python3 program.
>
> ---%<------------------------------------------------------
> #+BEGIN_SRC python :tangle yes :weave no
> #!/usr/bin/env python3
>
> #+END_SRC
>
> It defines ~a~.
>
> #+BEGIN_SRC python :tangle yes
> def a():
>    print("a")
>

> #+END_SRC
>
> And ~b~.
>
> #+BEGIN_SRC python :tangle yes
> def b():
>    print("b")
>

> #+END_SRC
>
> Now ~c~ is a little more complicated:
>
> #+BEGIN_SRC python :tangle yes
> def c():
>   print("c")
> #+END_SRC
>
> Not only does ~c~ print “c”, it calls ~a()~ and ~b()~.
>
> #+BEGIN_SRC python :tangle yes
>   b()
>   a()
> #+END_SRC
>
> Finally, make it importable. Not that you’d want to.
>
> #+BEGIN_SRC python :tangle yes
> if __name__ == "__main__":
>    main()
> #+END_SRC
> --->%------------------------------------------------------
>
> That’s the script. It weaves into HTML more-or-less ok (there’s a
> weird black box at the front of indented lines, but I can come back to
> that later).
>
> It’s a complete mess when tangled.
>
> The extra blank lines between functions (to make pylint happy with
> some PEP guideline) have disappeared. I guess I could live with that,
> but the complete failure to preserve indention in the penultimate code
> block is a show stopper:

[results of tangling deleted]

A couple of things might help.

First, use the :noweb-ref argument to mark each of the code blocks you wish to
tangle.

Say `:noweb-ref tangleyes'. Or some more evocative name.

Remove the `:tangle yes' from each of those. Then, add a code block that has
only `<<tangleyes>>' in it and tangle it.

#+begin_src python :noweb yes :tangle yes
<<tangleyes>>
#+end_src

The remaining problem (as you will see) is the indentation. Fix this by adding
the `-i' flag to the penultimate code block, viz.

#+BEGIN_SRC python -i :noweb-ref tangleyes
   b()
   a()
#+END_SRC

See 12.6 Literal Examples and 15.10 Noweb Reference Syntax in the manual.

HTH,

Chuck