[O] Get the text of a node

From: Joost Kremers
Subject: [O] Get the text of a node
Date: Wed, 23 Oct 2019 10:54:28 +0200

Hi all,

I was wondering if there's a way to programmatically get the text of a node in an Org buffer. Basically, I have a buffer that looks something like this:

#+BEGIN_SRC org
* Top header
** Subheader
  :PROPERTIES:
  :Custom_ID: some_id
  :END:

  Text starts here, possibly with additional subheaders
#+END_SRC

What I would like to extract is the text below "Subheader", but without the :PROPERTIES: block.

I've looked at the org-element library, but I haven't been able to figure out how to use it to extract just the plain text.

I use the :Custom_ID: property to find the relevant subheading and I know I can use (org-back-to-heading) to get point to the Subheader containing the relevant :PROPERTIES: block. Obviously, I could then narrow the buffer to the subheader, use a text search to move point past the line containing :END: and then extract the text from there until (point-max).

I'm just wondering if this may break in unexpected circumstances and whether there's a better way.

TIA

Joost

--
Joost Kremers