Re: [O] ANN: org-ql agenda block support

From: Adam Porter
Subject: Re: [O] ANN: org-ql agenda block support
Date: Mon, 16 Sep 2019 23:36:33 -0500

Mikhail Skorzhinskii <address@hidden> writes:

> Great overview, thanks a lot.
>
> So I give it a try and completely fell in love. On my data set it is
> visibly faster then org-agenda. I also wrote a lot of code around
> org-agenda over the years to support my sometimes awkward needs. And now
> I just threw all this ugly code away!
>
> That was very emotional moment for me, very good job, kind sir.

Hi Mikhail,

Thanks for the kind words.  I'm glad to hear that you like it.  I knew
there must be someone like you out there, if only I could get the word
to you!  :)

If you're interested, here's a demo of a new feature I plan to publish
soon, a sidebar for stored view queries:

https://github.com/alphapapa/org-ql/raw/wip/refactor-org-ql-agenda/images/org-ql-view-sidebar.gif

I think it will help bring a kind of feature parity with other to-do
list-type software, ones where you can click in a sidebar and see items
matching certain criteria displayed in a pane next to it.  With org-ql's
caching and such, switching between stored views can be very fast.  And
each one is displayed in its own buffer, so you could also e.g. show one
pane with the "today" view and another with the "this week" view.

If you'd like to help test it, you can use this branch:

https://github.com/alphapapa/org-ql/tree/wip/refactor-org-ql-agenda

e.g.:

#+BEGIN_SRC elisp
(use-package org-ql