Re: [O] Bug? SCHEDULED lines treated differently when text precedes them

From: Carsten Dominik
Subject: Re: [O] Bug? SCHEDULED lines treated differently when text precedes them
Date: Thu, 5 Sep 2019 16:02:49 +0200

On Thu, Sep 5, 2019 at 3:38 PM Christoph Groth <address@hidden> wrote:
Nicolas Goaziou wrote:

> Planning information (SCHEDULED, DEADLINE and CLOSED keywords) must
> appear right after the headline, per Org syntax. This is specified at
> the first paragraph in (info "(org) Deadlines and Scheduling").
>
> Elswhere, only the timestamp is meaningful to Org.

Thanks for the quick clarification!  I didn't see the relevant line in
the documentation since my Emacs from Debian shows only the info
documentation for the (outdated) Org that is bundled with Emacs [1].

This is, in fact, one of the very few things that did change with the introduction of org-elements.el and the fore formal parsing of Org files.  Originally, SCHEDULED and DEADLINE could be anywhere in the entry.  But with the development of the parser, and (I think) in order to define everything well in particular also for the export backends, the planning information was confined to the first line.

I don't think you need to be worried about more surprises, this was the most significant one IIRC.

Carsten

I understand now that Org does what it should.  However, I find this
behavior quite dangerous.  It caught me after more than 10 years of
using Org.  If there's a list of long-term issues with Org somewhere,
this problem may deserve being added to it.

Cheers
Christoph

[1] https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=725408