Re: [O] orgalist-mode: wrong indentation in message mode after recent ch

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: [O] orgalist-mode: wrong indentation in message mode after recent change in emacs
Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2019 16:32:50 -0400

> The third is why indent-according-to-mode hard-codes the check for
> indent-relative and indent-relative-first-indent-point.  Wouldn't it be
> nice if this check instead looked up some variable akin to
> electric-indent-functions-without-reindent, that can be more easily
> customised?

Agreed.  Comparing functions is always fraught with dangers, as we are
witnessing here (this very fundamental problem was arguably the original
motivation for inventing type-classes in Haskell to avoid the ugly
ad-hoc "eqtypes" of SML).

We need the comparison here for backward compatibility, but we should
supplement it with a variable, like we did with
`electric-indent-inhibit` (and not with
electric-indent-functions-without-reindent which just suffers from the
same fundamental problem).

        Stefan