Re: [O] Suspected bug with LaTeX export: the pdf does not open

From: Alain . Cochard
Subject: Re: [O] Suspected bug with LaTeX export: the pdf does not open
Date: Sun, 19 Aug 2018 06:21:54 +0200

Tim Cross writes on Sun 19 Aug 2018 12:31:

 > Given the problem appears to only occur with older setups which are
 > using an external PDF viewer, he problem might be with the xdg settings
 > on the system. The line
 >
 >    Running /usr/bin/xdg-open /home/cochard/tmp/scr.pdf...done
 >
 > might be worth more investigation. What program is xdg using to open PDF
 > files? What happens if you try to run that viewer manually on the PDF
 > file?

When running the command

   /usr/bin/xdg-open /home/cochard/tmp/scr.pdf

from a standard linux terminal or a shell terminal within emacs (M-x
shell) the file is open with evince.  However nothing happens if doing
it from an eshell terminal (M-x eshell).

Also if I visit (C-x C-f) the file in emacs, it is displayed properly;
the modeline says '(DocView)'

If I add the line

   (setq process-connection-type nil)

to my minimal .emacs, then, upon 'C-c C-e l o', the file does open,
although not within emacs -- but with evince.  So it does not fully
solve the problem, but it is already a rather decent workaround for
me.  Thanks a lot!

--
EOST (École et Observatoire des Sciences de la Terre)
IPG (Institut de Physique du Globe) | address@hidden