Re: [O] *Good* client for Android?

From: Eric S Fraga
Subject: Re: [O] *Good* client for Android?
Date: Fri, 13 Oct 2017 07:28:10 +0100

On Thursday, 12 Oct 2017 at 16:28, John Goerzen wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> All along, I anticipated using this with Android (and, ideally, also
> iOS).  The MobileOrg feature set looked great, and the syncing mechanism
> looked a lot better than sharing Dropbox.
>
> I use git to share my ~/org between two computers (laptop and desktop),
> using git-remote-gcrypt to store on a server.  This makes syncing and
> resolving conflicts easy (I move between the two throughout the day, so
> Dropbox is really not a great option here.)  Sync integrity -- or at
> least robust detection of conflicts -- is a must.  Encryption is a "very
> nice to have."
>
> Suggestions?

I am not sure what you are asking for.  What is missing in MobileOrg?
You say it is suffering from bitrot but it works just fine for me on a
daily basis, with no issues having multiple Android devices using the
same location.  Okay, it no longer works with Dropbox but it does work
with a number of other media.

Maybe I missed it but what is not clear is what features you actually
require that you don't have other than the encryption aspect mentioned
above.

For instance, I have recently started playing with org-dropbox [1] for
capturing notes from an Android device.  But I will keep using MobileOrg
as I need Google calendar synchronisation.

The only way to truly work with org on your phone would be to have Emacs
on your phone.  That *is* possible but the currently available solutions
are less than useful (IMO).  The second best is to ssh to a system
running Emacs (as has already been suggested).

My own full solution is to have a palm sized computer running Emacs: the
Pandora [2] which is (hopefully) soon to be replaced by the Pyra [3].

eric

Footnotes:
[1]  https://github.com/heikkil/org-dropbox

[2]  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pandora_(console)

[3]  https://pyra-handheld.com/boards/pages/pyra/

--
: Eric S Fraga via Emacs 27.0.50, Org release_9.1.2-98-g0b8316