Re: [O] Wrong type argument: characterp, 134217782 (??)

From: Charles C. Berry
Subject: Re: [O] Wrong type argument: characterp, 134217782 (??)
Date: Sat, 23 Jan 2016 20:57:20 -0800

On Sat, 23 Jan 2016, Charles C. Berry wrote:

On Sat, 23 Jan 2016, Eric S Fraga wrote:

On Saturday, 23 Jan 2016 at 14:36, address@hidden wrote:

[...]

Then I discovered that the backquote symbol was not
recognized. Everytime I press it, I get the 'Wrong type argument:
characterp, 134217782' message in the mini-buffer.

Maybe try

 M-x toggle-debug-on-error

and see where that error is arising to see if that gives us a hint as to
what may be wrong.  I am not sure if the cdlatex code you downloaded has
been updated for later versions of emacs...

Funny, I get `apply: Wrong type argument: characterp, 134217785'

(not `134217782'), which is what M-9 is recognized as:

#+BEGIN_SRC emacs-lisp
(read-char) ; type C-c C-c y M-9 *here*
#+END_SRC

#+RESULTS:
: 134217785

on my MacBook and that makes some sense as cdlatex.el uses `(read-char)' once it is triggered by a back tic. And I guess that `read-char' is immune to keymapping for good reason.

For the record, this happens with

#+BEGIN_SRC elisp
 (define-key key-translation-map (kbd "M-9") (kbd "`"))
#+END_SRC

set in org-cdlatex-mode when the first back tic (or M-9) is followed by a M-9 and it also happens for other key events that do not map to characters like `C-S-s' after the back tic.

So the easiest fix is *don't do that*.

I suppose this counts as a bug in cdlatex, but it seems easy enough to work around.

Just to be clear on what such a workaround would amount to:

With M-9 defined as above, customize `cdlatex-math-symbol-prefix' to any of the unused symbols.

Suppose it is ':'. Then in a buffer in which org-cdlatex-mode is operative,

cycles thru the different levels until the user selects another letter/symbol in the menu.

HTH,

Chuck