Re: [O] Bug: agenda interaction with org-agenda-dim-blocked-tasks, org-a

From: Yuri Niyazov
Subject: Re: [O] Bug: agenda interaction with org-agenda-dim-blocked-tasks, org-agenda-max-entries and org-enforce-todo-dependencies [8.3beta (release_8.3beta-785-gb5d9f4 @ /Users/yn/dotfiles/org.emacs.d/org-mode/lisp/)]
Date: Tue, 3 Feb 2015 13:49:30 -0800

On Tue, Feb 3, 2015 at 1:13 PM, Nicolas Goaziou <address@hidden> wrote:

> > This starts happening when org-agenda-dim-blocked-tasks is set to
> > invisible. What seems to happen is that the blocked tasks, even though
> > they are invisible, are still counted towards org-agenda-max-entries.
>
> AFAIU, even though they are invisible, the entries are somewhere in the
> agenda view, and logically add up to the total.

Yes, that seems to me the behavior I am seeing. Are you saying that
this is not a bug? It is certainly very surprising behavior. I had the
"make blocked tasks invisible" setting for months, and then only
recently started limiting the number of entries, so it took me quite
some time to figure out why I was seeing only, for example, 4 items in
the agenda when I was expecting to see 10 (which is where the
org-agenda-max-entries setting is) - the two settings are not
obviously related.

Also, this is inconsistent with other settings like
org-agenda-skip-deadline-if-done and
org-agenda-skip-deadline-prewarning-if-scheduled, which actively
remove items from the agenda view. I understand that the setting has
the verb "skip" rather than "dim" in it, but that's not enough of an
indicator up front to know that the two settings work differently when
it comes to counting towards the total.

> You may want to skip altogether blocked tasks instead.

What do you mean by that?