Re: [O] Exploring data that is in org-mode format

From: Karl Voit
Subject: Re: [O] Exploring data that is in org-mode format
Date: Fri, 27 Sep 2013 10:29:39 +0200

* Alan Schmitt <address@hidden> wrote:
> Hello,

Hi Alan!

> The short version: what tools are available to explore data, typically
> stored in org-mode tables?

Great question!

I did some very basic R-scripts to derive boxplots by myself.

> The long version: I've tried an interesting website
> (https://tictrac.com/) whose goal is to gain some insight about
> ourselves by exploring some data we collect (think quantified self). I'm
> not happy with this site for three reasons:
> - I need to send it the data;

I dislike cloud-based services which are not under my control.

> - it focuses on health / activity data whereas there is much more that
> interests me (I for instance have weekly records of natural gas use in my
> gas-heated house and daily record of temperature average outside which I
> would love to compare);

Absolutely!

> - it won't let you input arbitrary data (I asked about importing a CSV
> of my daily coffee consumption, they answered they require an external
> service to integrate the data).

I understand.

> So I collect all this data because it's something I enjoy doing, and I
> would really like to explore it, from the comfortable position of my own
> computer. All of this data is in org-mode tables (or can be easily
> converted to org-mode table). Hence my questions: are there tools you
> would recommend? I'm not afraid of programming (I suspect an answer will
> be 'R'), but I would like pointers to tutorials to do these kind of
> things. The kind of things I would like to do are:
> - extract weekly or monthly tallies or estimation from data collected at
> irregular intervals;
> - compare data sources against each other;
> - estimate future trends based on past data (how much will my gas bill be?);
> - display the result in some kind of dashboard.

I collect much data about myself using Memacs (see signature).
However, I did not derive anything else but some boxplots from it
(visualizing time-differences between periodic events).

Something generic which I can feed Org-mode files (most preferably
in Memacs-like Org-mode format) and derive some standard graphics
(where I pick those that make sense) would be very great!

--
mail|git|SVN|photos|postings|SMS|phonecalls|RSS|CSV|XML to Org-mode:

https://github.com/novoid/extract_pdf_annotations_to_orgmode + more on github