Re: [O] example filter for code blocks?

From: John Kitchin
Subject: Re: [O] example filter for code blocks?
Date: Thu, 26 Sep 2013 15:48:50 -0400

I think it is so interesting, we have actually tried a variation of it! I set up an org-file that exported a supplementary information file, using attachfile to embed data files and scripts in the pdf. Unfortunately, the journal "processed" the pdf file, and stripped those files out ;( We haven't tried to see if we can get our original supplemental pdf accepted.

John

-----------------------------------
John Kitchin
Associate Professor
Doherty Hall A207F
Department of Chemical Engineering
Carnegie Mellon University
Pittsburgh, PA 15213
412-268-7803
http://kitchingroup.cheme.cmu.edu

On Thu, Sep 26, 2013 at 3:43 PM, Thomas S. Dye <address@hidden> wrote:
Hi John,

John Kitchin <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi everyone,
> Thanks for  the tips in using export filters for code blocks. I thought I
> would share my current solution. The goal was to export all the code blocks
> in an org-file to files systematically named part1/script-%d.py where %d is
> a number. I didnot want to tangle exactly, because I wanted to avoid naming
> the code block tangle files.
>
> Then, I wanted to insert a pdf link that would open the file, after the
> syntax highlighted code.
>
> I wanted this because it is not convenient to copy and paste the
> syntax-highlighted code into an editor. I teach from the pdf that is
> generated, and it would be convenient to just open the code, edit and rerun
> to explore solutions.

This seems like it might be an elegant way to distribute a piece of
reproducible research. I suspect most readers would prefer to have a pdf
entry point into a compendium over an Org-mode entry point. Instead of
distributing the Org-mode file that is configured to make a pdf file,
carry out calculations, draw figures, etc., one could distribute a
ready-made pdf file with an appendix of Supplementary Material that has
all the code for calculations, figures, etc.

What do you think?

All the best,
Tom

--