Re: [O] different toc levels per headline?

From: Adam Spiers
Subject: Re: [O] different toc levels per headline?
Date: Thu, 26 Sep 2013 13:16:35 +0100

Hi Carsten,

On Thu, Sep 26, 2013 at 01:15:56PM +0200, Carsten Dominik wrote:
> Hi Adam,
>
> EXPORT_OPTIONS are for the special case that you only export that
> specific subtree, by restricting the export to a tree using C-s in
> the dispatcher.  They do not modify the behavior of a tree in a
> larger export of the document, and they also should not do so IMO.

Thanks a lot for the reply.  However, what you say seems to directly
contradict this sentence in the manual:

    Options set at a specific level override options set at a more
    general level.

which is why this confused me.  I guess that sentence was intended to
refer only to subtree exports, not whole document exports, but that
meaning was not clear to me.  Perhaps it can be clarified via a small
tweak?

> Generating a single document should follow one set of rules, not
> many.

I agree that KISS is valuable when designing the rules.  However, it
also seems a perfectly reasonable requirement to be able to control
the toc: level per subtree during a whole document export, since in an
arbitrary document there's no guarantee that every headline has the
same depth.  E.g. one chapter may have a few deep subsections, whereas
another may contain lots of shallow subsections.  In these scenarios
it is clearly beneficial to allow the author to choose which
subsections appear in the ToC.

So is there a way of achieving this?  If not, please consider this a
feature request ;-)

Thanks!
Adam