[O] User Defined Functions in Agenda Views

From: Mike McLean
Subject: [O] User Defined Functions in Agenda Views
Date: Sat, 21 Sep 2013 14:18:47 -0400

Hello

I looked at the doc string for ~org-agenda-custom-commands~ and noticed that the you can use a user-defined function as a valid command type. I did not find anything in the documentation that describes how that user-defined function should work, what it should do, or how to write one. I looked at the code for other agenda types, such as ~tags-todo~ and ~occur-tree~ and have guessed at how to form one of these.

I can write documentation and samples if anyone want it (either to add to Org documentation or as a page on Worg), but want to ensure that I understand completely and correctly, first.

With that said, can those with far more knowledegble about Org code comment on my thoughts below.

The user defined function for an agenda view:
  • The Org agenda dispatch function will call a user-defined function with one parameter representing the ``match'' component from the agenda definition. In other words, ~(udf-test "Hello")~ in ~org-agenda-custom-commands~ will result in a function call of ~udf-test~ with an argument of "Hello".
  • The ~org-agenda-custom-commands~ varible does not requred a parameter and therefore the dispatcher does not require one. Define an user-defined wiht an optional argument: ~(defun udf-test (&optional org-match) "documentation…" <<code>>)~
  • The user defined function should prepared a buffer to write the agenda information to using ~org-agenda-prepare~
  • The user defined function should handle setting a unique buffer name for the cases where ~org-agenda-sticky~ has a value of ~t~
  • Honor the setting of ~org-agenda-overriding-header~ and insert that text into the agenda buffer
  • Insert into the buffer the desired contents, accounting for also setting text properties (translation: “Magic happens here”)
  • Call ~org-agenda-finalize~ and ~(setq buffer-read-only t)~

Does this cover the basics?

Mike