Re: [O] using a simple numerical variable in an org text ocument

From: Dieter Wilhelm
Subject: Re: [O] using a simple numerical variable in an org text ocument
Date: Sat, 27 Jul 2013 20:19:42 +0200

"Sebastien Vauban" <address@hidden> writes:

> Matt Price wrote:
>> I'm making a very simple org-document -- a packing list for a trip.
>> It has entries like
>> - 4 mugs
>> - for sleeping bags
>> - 4 thermarest pads
>> I'd like to replace the numbers there by a variable -- so if I make a
>> list for 4 people, the number displayed will be '4'; but if the list
>> is for 2 people, the number displayed will be 2.  Better would be if I
>> could also do simple arithmetic manipulations (x * 6 dinners for a
>> week...).  I there a really simple way to do this? if it's not really
>> easy, it won't really seem worth it, but if it is really easy, I will
>> use it a lot...
> As macros are expanded before Babel code is evaluated, I would
> try #+scr_calc{...} with MACRO constants in the formula (untested).

Hi Seb(astien),

it seems that you're working with calc source blocks! :-) I'd like to
leverage calc in org-mode (I'm thinking of unit conversions, etc.:
Mathematica for free men) but I'm not getting it.  I assume that in an
#+src_calc block the mode of operation of calc is algebraic, isn't it?

#+BEGIN_SRC calc
  2 + 2
  sqrt(8)
  # above is working, by the way, does a calc block have a comment sign?
  2 cm
  calc-convert-units(mm)
#+END_SRC

#+RESULTS:
: calc - convert - units(mm)

Above attempt is not working.  Is it also possible to use the RPN? Like
in this fictive block:

#+BEGIN_SRC calc :mode rpn
  2 2 +
  2 'mm  8 'cm + 'in u c
#+END_SRC

And the *Calc Trail* buffer seems not to reflect any operations, despite
Calc showing the block results in its calculator buffer!

Thanks

        Dieter

--
Best wishes