[O] OT: italics [was: Re: take the name of org-class event from heading]

From: Nick Dokos
Subject: [O] OT: italics [was: Re: take the name of org-class event from heading]
Date: Fri, 22 Jun 2012 18:21:48 -0400

Nick Dokos <address@hidden> wrote:

> > >PS I cannot tell where you are quoting others and where you are talking as
> > >yourself. Can you please use some quoting style?
> >
> > I italicized the quoted text.
> >

> OK - but that assumes machinery that not all of us are using.

I thought that I couldn't see the italics because I was using a font
(-misc-fixed-medium-r-normal--15-140-75-75-c-90-iso8859-1) that does not
come in an oblique variety. But even after switching to "Liberation
Mono:style=Regular" which most definitely *does* have an oblique variety
(and I can see it in action in an org document when I say /italic/ -
after setting the italic face appropriately), I still do not get the
italic effect when I view Enda's mail (and I am viewing the html form of
it, not the text form: e.g. the leading question is colored blue).

That may be because of the dotage of my mail reader of course (mh-e), so
I was wondering if there are any *emacs* mail readers[fn:1] that show
the effect? I doubt at this point that I'll ever switch to e.g. gnus to
read mail (mh-e and I have grown old together), but I am curious whether
something like it handles things properly.[fn:2]

Thanks,
Nick

Footnotes:

[fn:1] I presume that something like thunderbird will do it, but I'm not
       interested in going outside emacs.

[fn:2] FWIW, I set up gnus with an nnmh spool and I still can't see the
       italics, but that may be a matter of missing configuration. BTW,
       in mh-e, various headers are in italics (To:, Sender: and the <addr>
       part of the From: header) - that's probably default mh-e config,
       since I don't do any customization there.