Re: [O] notify, when something to do

From: Peter Münster
Subject: Re: [O] notify, when something to do
Date: Sun, 23 Oct 2011 20:17:57 +0200

On Sun, Oct 23 2011, Tassilo Horn wrote:

> address@hidden (Peter Münster) writes:
>
>> I would like to be notified[1], when a todo item enters the warning
>> period, scheduled time, or deadline.
>
> I export my org entries as appt alarms, so that I get system
> notifications 15 minutes before meetings (every 1 minute until I
> discard them).  Here's the code:

Hello Tassilo,

First, I took a look at the lines

(org-agenda-to-appt t)
(appt-activate 1)

This is already a good starting point, just 3 remarks:
- I think, I'll need a filter for org-agenda-to-appt, because I only
  want TODO items. Should be no problem.
- How to distinguish between SCHEDULED and DEADLINE?  I'll
  investigate...
- Perhaps the main problem: appt does not know about warning periods.
  There are items with "-3d", other with "-5M"[1]. There is only one
  universal appt-message-warning-time. Would it be possible, to have a
  individual warning-time for each todo-item, directly computed from the
  warning time in the org-timestamp?

In the meantime, I'll take a look at your th-appt-alarm.
Thanks for your code!

           Peter

Footnotes:
[1]  That means "warn 5 minutes before". I don't know, if org-mode
supports this. "-2H" for hours would be useful too.