[Orgmode] Re: Behavior of Gnus when called from an hyperlink

From: Sébastien Vauban
Subject: [Orgmode] Re: Behavior of Gnus when called from an hyperlink
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 2010 22:37:08 +0200

Hi David, Tassilo and Nick,

David Maus wrote:
> Tassilo Horn wrote:
>> Please check, if that function is that slow for all message-ids or if
>> that's only for some. The function has a "FIXME: Should this try to use
>> CHARSET? -- fx", and maybe this answer has to be answered with Yes!
>
> I think this is not very likely: With the CHARSET argument a client can
> inform the server that the search string is in a charset different than the
> default 7bit ASCII (Cf. rfc3501, 6.4.4).
>
> You could rule out the server being the culprit by performing the search
> manually:
>
> gnutls-cli --crlf --port 993 your.mail.host.here
>
> 0x1 LOGIN "user" "password"
> 0x2 SELECT Inbox.work
> 0x3 SEARCH HEADER "Message-ID" "message id w/o angle brackets"
>
> 0x4 LOGOUT

Great idea to test that. I began with it (before going to edebug more
functions):

address@hidden />nc -vv mail imap
Connection to mail 143 port [tcp/imap2] succeeded!
* OK [CAPABILITY IMAP4rev1 UIDPLUS CHILDREN NAMESPACE THREAD=ORDEREDSUBJECT
THREAD=REFERENCES SORT QUOTA IDLE ACL ACL2=UNION STARTTLS XMAGICTRASH]
Courier-IMAP ready. Copyright 1998-2004 Double Precision, Inc.  See COPYING for
distribution information.
0x1 LOGIN "sva" "<not-shown>"
0x1 OK LOGIN Ok.
0x2 SELECT INBOX.mc
* FLAGS ($MDNSent Junk gnus-save gnus-forward NonJunk $Forwarded \Draft
\Answered \Flagged \Deleted \Seen \Recent)
* OK [PERMANENTFLAGS ($MDNSent Junk gnus-save gnus-forward NonJunk $Forwarded
\* \Draft \Answered \Flagged \Deleted \Seen)] Limited
* 27072 EXISTS
* 0 RECENT
* OK [UIDVALIDITY 1097250695] Ok
* OK [MYRIGHTS "acdilrsw"] ACL
0x2 OK [READ-WRITE] Ok
0x3 SEARCH HEADER "Message-ID" "address@hidden"
* SEARCH 26856
0x3 OK SEARCH done.
0x3 SEARCH HEADER "Message-ID" "address@hidden"
* SEARCH 26856
0x3 OK SEARCH done.
0x4 LOGOUT
* BYE Courier-IMAP server shutting down
0x4 OK LOGOUT completed

address@hidden />

Did twice the same request. Did take twice 5 mins...

> My main account uses Courier on Debian, too and search for a particular
> message id within ~7000 messages is quite fast.

In my case, the culprit seems well to be our mail server, then.

> Couldn't find this information in the tread: Is it slow for a particular
> message or slow on Inbox.work in general?

I answered this in the early beginning of the thread: time taken for opening
the link seems to be (linearly?) dependant on the size of the mail groups.

In INBOX.mc (the group for all work-related emails, containing ~27,000
emails), it takes ~5 mins to open a link from Org.

In other normally-sized groups (a couple of 100's of emails), it took a couple
of seconds (> 10 s).

Maybe a problem is that I keep all of my emails (but the spams...) since the
beginning: now, over 140,000 emails entered my INBOX -- only the spams left
it.

What would be your pieces of advice in such a case? Do I need to test
something extra? Get a local imap server? Others (like asking for fixing the
search on our Courier mail server)?

Best regards,
  Seb

--