emacs-humanities

[emacs-humanities] Keeping this mailing list on-topic. (Was: Re: [OT] PD

From: Karl Fogel
Date: Fri, 20 Jan 2023 16:06:46 -0600

On 20 Jan 2023, M. ‘quintus’ Gülker wrote:
Dear all,

please apologise the off-topic posting, I am not going to repeat it. But since this is a humanities-centred mailing list, maybe there are some computer historians around here who might be interested in the below.

I am cleaning up my personal library a little. I own four original PDP-11 operating manuals dated 1970-1974, which were sorted out by my
university when the the IT faculty changed their rooms into a new
building. I have no use for them, as I do (obviously) not own a PDP-11
nor even understand much of the rather technical content. I tried
selling them over eBay, but nobody wanted them, so I am now giving them
away for free to a responsible person for no other cost than the
shipping costs. I am located in Germany. Please write a private e-mail to me to the address mentioned in the signature if you are interested.

The complete list of manuals is:

- pdp11 handbook (1970)
- pdp11 periphals and interfacing handbook (1972)
- pdp11/05/10/35/40 processor handbook (1973)
- pdp11 periphals handbook (1973-1974)

All of them bear a copyright mark attributing the "Digital Equipment
Corporation".

I will only give them away all at once.

This off-topic posting is no great harm, and I hope you find a good home for the PDP manuals.

But I would appreciate it if we could stick to the charter of this mailing list: Emacs as used in the humanities. People subscribed to this list based on the premise that that's the topic.

Recently there have been posts that have literally nothing to do with Emacs. The one quoted above is one; the recent "Zizek" thread is another example. I was kind of surprised when people followed up in that thread to continue the conversation (instead of following up to point out that the OP was off-topic here).

If people want a mailing list for "technically-inclined and free-software-oriented computer users in the humanities", that sounds great! There are many places to host such a list. But this list has a different and narrower topic. Quoting from the list page [1]:

 > This list is for general discussions on using Emacs in the
> Humanities (a.k.a. "Liberal Arts") and related domains. The > focus > is on using Emacs, not programming it, and the participants do > not
 > need, and are not assumed, to have programming knowledge.

Sure, people *could* filter out mails whose Subject lines have "[OT]". But we shouldn't have to. The list itself is already that filter.

Best regards,
-Karl