emacs-humanities

Re: [emacs-humanities] Emacs "Projects" management?

From: Ihor Radchenko
Subject: Re: [emacs-humanities] Emacs "Projects" management?
Date: Fri, 21 Oct 2022 11:23:41 +0000

Alan Davis <alan3davis@gmail.com> writes:

> A few years ago, I obtained an iMac, and encountered what I remember as
> "virtual folders."  I may be imagining things, as I cannot seem to find
> good information about it.  Someone mentioned finder on the mac.  This is a
> truly interesting tool.  I think there are solutions for GNU/Linux;
> however, most of them seem to take time to learn and set up, if I
> understand the lay of the land.  What I THINK (or perhaps hope) that
> virtual folders can do is to provide a ROBUST way of sorting files into
> meaningful buckets without actually having to move the file, making it
> possible for several virtual folders to include one particular  file.

Emacs also supports "virtual folders" using dired + bookmarks.

In dired, apart from usual file system navigation, you can display
arbitrary sets of files. See 30.16 Dired and ‘find’ section of the Emacs
manual.

Once you have dired buffer, you can bookmarks it for future (even
between Emacs sessions) using M-x bookmark-set. Then, you can jump to
the saved bookmarks with M-x bookmark-jump.

The functionality can further be extended using dired+ and bookmark+
packages. See https://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/BookmarkPlus#h5o-36

--
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,
Org mode contributor,