emacs-gc-stats

Re: Stats

From: Ihor Radchenko
Subject: Re: Stats
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2023 09:41:58 +0000

Björn Lindström <bkhl@elektrubadur.se> writes:

>> I see. Then, you are getting most of your GC from savehist :)
>> But all the GCs are short - your use case has does not appear to have
>> issues with GC.
>>
>> For reference, the attached is distribution of GC time and time between
>> subsequent GCs for all your data.
>
> Well, this isn't my normal usage to be fair, as I normally have this in my
> early-init.el:
>
> (setq gc-cons-threshold (* 24 1024 1024))
>
> I haven't tried it, but I'm guessing this will make it not necessarily need
> to GC on every 5 minute interval.

> I removed this while running emacs-gc-stats, since as I read the request to
> run it, it should be done with default settings.

The effect of increasing gc-cons-threshold will be: (1) individual GCs
will be longer; (2) there will be fewer GCs.

However, it does not look like increasing the threshold is justified in
your case. With the default settings, most of your GCs take <0.2sec and
should not be noticeable.

Increasing gc-cons-threshold can actually make them noticeable as it
inevitably increases individual GC duration.

--
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,
Org mode contributor,