emacs-erc

Re: bug#62044: 30.0.50; ERC 5.5: Auto-reconnect is broken

From: J.P.
Subject: Re: bug#62044: 30.0.50; ERC 5.5: Auto-reconnect is broken
Date: Wed, 08 Mar 2023 18:22:47 -0800

"J.P." <jp@neverwas.me> writes:

> In your initial report, underlying connectivity is present in some
> form because ERC reaches the "Logging in as" stage and attempts to
> send an application payload,

Actually, this is nonsense (forgive me). I seem to have forgotten that
ERC prints this message regardless of whether a connection attempt
succeeds.

> So to keep things sane, we should probably treat auto-reconnecting
> across connectivity gaps as a wishlist item and auto-reconnecting atop
> healthy connections as an existing, previously unreported bug. As for
> the new feature, I've attached a POC patch that you can try if you're
> willing (usage is self-explanatory, but feel free to modify or iterate
> as needed).

I've attached a less sloppy version that probably still fails in some
common cases, but at least it reuses the existing session connector.

> As for the other issue, I think we're going to need some genuine
> session logs to really get anywhere. That is, we'll likely need you to
> enable logging and tracing during a real session with your bouncer
> over a hopefully not-too-prolonged period to capture an actual
> reconnect sequence failing. But hold off on that for another round
> unless you're feeling adventurous.

Actually, I'm not sure we'll be needing these logs after all. Let's
maybe think on it a bit more (if that's acceptable). Thanks.