emacs-erc

Re: bug#29108: 25.3; ERC SASL support

From: Adam Porter
Subject: Re: bug#29108: 25.3; ERC SASL support
Date: Mon, 14 Nov 2022 16:29:04 -0600

Hi Akib,

On 11/10/22 23:56, Akib Azmain Turja wrote:
"J.P." <jp@neverwas.me> writes:

Adam Porter <adam@alphapapa.net> writes:

On 11/9/22 23:28, J.P. wrote:

Akib Azmain Turja <akib@disroot.org> writes:

But Adam Porter (CC'ing), the maintainer of ement.el (available on GNU
ELPA), a Matrix client, claims that auth-source is from the dark side[1]
and refused to support it claiming it's not suitable for general use[2].

Please note: I did not expect to be mentioned in this way here.  It's not my
intention to speak poorly of others' software, especially in public.  In the
Reddit post I made, I tried to be objective and show the problems clearly with
code examples.

That's certainly the impression I got, and I regret not having said as
much sooner. Sorry you had to burn cycles on a dignified defense. At the
same time, I'm hopeful folks will find the restraint to chalk this up to
a teachable moment and attribute Akib's bit of ambush editorializing
(something I myself have been guilty of over the years) to the angst of
youth or a moment of weakness, both potential engines of productivity
when channeled in a more positive direction.

I'm extremely sorry, I didn't actually wanted to give that impression.
Please forgive me.

Again, no apology is necessary.  :)

And that is merely my opinion, of course, based on the shortcomings I noted
(e.g. the lack of API to update a secret, the undocumented error-handling
signals, etc).  I expect that, were I to use it in my software, I would end up
working around these problems and answering users' support questions about
them; and since I don't use it myself, either, it doesn't seem like a good
idea to do so.

Nevertheless, it's clearly used by a number of people and third-party packages
that integrate with it, so take my opinion of it with a grain of salt.  If it
seems useful to you, by all means, use it.

Your works are awesome, thank you much for the work.

Thanks for the kind words.