Re: Ada-mode to be abandoned?

From: Daniel Mendler
Subject: Re: Ada-mode to be abandoned?
Date: Sun, 07 Jan 2024 17:48:35 +0100

>> ELPA is just one 'M-x package-install' away.
>>
>> And Ada is niche enough that even the argument of having the popular
>> languages supported OOtB doesn't work.
>
> There are plenty of languages that are niche and supported OOtB,
> especially since the introduction of tree-sitter (I for example am not
> familiar with "heex").  If I were to consider helping out with
> maintaining the major mode -- where my main disinclination is just the
> lack of experience I have with Ada -- I'd prefer to maintain it inside
> the core, because if nothing else it makes it easier for others to help
> out with bugs/mistakes and use the newest features.

I don't see plenty of new TS modes for niche languages in Emacs.
`heex-ts-mode' is the only one which I am not familiar with and it
belongs to the `elixir-ts-mode'. Elixir itself seems to be widely used.
Ada support in core may be reasonable, given the support in the GNU
compiler and given that it is an established, standardized language. I
don't see the same arguments for a `bicep-ts-mode'.

Daniel