RE: [External] : Re: Question on set-window-margins

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: [External] : Re: Question on set-window-margins
Date: Wed, 3 Jan 2024 20:07:58 +0000

> > Might there be a way for a doc string to include an unobtrusive
> > small link to the full documentation?

This has been suggested multiple times over the years.

I added it to *Help* in my library help-fns+.el in 2011.

A user option controls whether such a link is shown, and
if so, which manuals to check, and whether to check
automatically or only when you click the link.

> We do that when there are too many details to have them
> in the doc string.

Other reasons to do it are that the manual can provide
additional context, links, etc.  It's not only about
more details about the thing described in *Help*.

> Otherwise, there's no need for a link because typing 'i' in
> the *Help* buffer will show the corresponding documentation in the
> manual.

No need?  Can't argue about need.  But a link is more
obvious than knowing, or checking to find, binding `i'.
IOW, need or no need, a link to the manuals is useful.
___

https://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/HelpPlus#LinksToManuals

https://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/download/help-fns%2b.el