Re: Eshell manual is (hopefully) complete!

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: Eshell manual is (hopefully) complete!
Date: Sat, 08 Jul 2023 17:16:00 +0200

Jim Porter <jporterbugs@gmail.com> writes:

Hi Jim,

> I'll have to think about that. It might make sense to bump Eshell's
> version to 3.0.0 for Emacs 29 (there are quite a few changes), and
> then maybe 3.1.0 for Emacs 30 (where there are not so many changes -
> at least not yet). I'm open to ideas though.

Sounds OK.

>> - 2.2.1 Quoting and escaping ‘"The answer is: \"$answer\""’
>>    Shouldn't it be ‘"The answer is: \"$ANSWER\""’
>
> Well, that depends. Eshell variables can be Lisp variables or
> environment variables, so in the former case, "$answer" would make
> sense, I think.

But you have used the capitalized ANSWER before, so it shall be
consistent. I know that this is because of @var{answer}, but this is
what it looks like.

>>    Comparing this list, and the built-in commands in "5.1.4 Tramp
>>    extensions" and "5.1.5 Extra built-in commands", I miss the built-in
>>    commands eshell/count, eshell/define, eshell/eshell-debug, eshell/ff,
>>    eshell/gf, eshell/urgrep.
>
> I added documentation for 'count', 'eshell-debug', 'ff', and
> 'gf'. 'define' is obsolete (I'm not sure it ever worked, and maybe I
> should have just removed it entirely). 'urgrep' is from the Urgrep
> package on GNU ELPA (which I wrote :)).

Yep. However, the references for 'ff' and 'gf' are wrong. Instead of
@pxref{Dired and Find, , , elisp, The Emacs Lisp Reference Manual} it
must be @pxref{Dired and Find, , , emacs, The Emacs Editor}

Best regards, Michael.