Re: Android port of Emacs

From: Gregory Heytings
Subject: Re: Android port of Emacs
Date: Sat, 01 Jul 2023 15:09:38 +0000

FWIW, I tried to use that but found it unbearable. I can't remember all the annoyances, but there were many, and AFAIK there is no way for *us* to fix them.

More seriously, IMO "unbearable" is too vague. Which X server did you try, with which keyboard if you used a soft keyboard, and with which Emacs version? And which annoyances do you remember? The Termux:X11 X server is under active development, so I'd suggest to try again, and to report the annoyances you still experience.

I don't see Termux:X11 as a good long term strategy for Emacs support on Android, and I find the current `feature/android` already works better so it's not a good short term option for me any more either. So I have currently no incentive to contribute bug reports to that project. But I'm glad it exists and I wish it well :-)

I was not suggesting that you should report bugs to Termux:X11, I was asking for something more detailed than "unbearable", which contradicts what others said in this thread.

Also, I hope you realize that with the feature/android port you need to compile all external programs you need from their sources.