Re: Adding support for xref jumping to headers/interfaces

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: Adding support for xref jumping to headers/interfaces
Date: Tue, 28 Feb 2023 23:53:59 +0200

On 28/02/2023 23:40, John Yates wrote:
On Mon, Feb 27, 2023 at 7:19 PM Yuan Fu<casouri@gmail.com>  wrote:
I think “interface” is widely used and conveys the meaning well. Java, Clojure
and Javascript call them interfaces, too.
In the C++ community the term 'interface' is part of the
vernacular, especially within the TLAs API and ABI.

But would you call that navigation "jumping to method's interface(s)"?

AFAIK, in Java you still call the method definitions inside an interface (file/entity) "method declarations". Unless it's a "default" method, available with Java 8+.

Clojure is similarly able to define Java interfaces (with no special term for methods enumerated inside, AFAIK), or Protocols (methods inside are called "protocol methods", but it would probably be fair to call them "declarations" as well).

More importantly, I guess, in both Java or C/C++ you can have method declarations that are not part of an "interface". E.g. you have some class with abstract method or several.

The LSP protocol uses the term "declaration", so we probably won't make too much of a mistake reusing that term. But, indeed, it sounds similar enough to "definition".