Re: Should yaml-ts-mode inherit from prog-mode?

From: Daniel Fleischer
Subject: Re: Should yaml-ts-mode inherit from prog-mode?
Date: Tue, 28 Feb 2023 19:56:01 +0200

Romanos Skiadas <rom.skiad@gmail.com> writes:

> I was using yaml-ts-mode in Emacs 30, and to my surprise I found it inherits
> from text-mode.
>
> However, and here is where things kind of break down a bit: I would
> personally argue that YAML has a code feel to it,
> what with all the bash scripts that end up in it. Personally, I feel that
> YAML is more of a prog language than JSON
> (whatever that means), and according to the spec it is a superset of JSON. In
> fact, the JSON mode shipped with Emacs
> inherits from prog-mode!

I think yaml doesn't look at all like a programming language. There are
no keywords, only free text. The bash scripts you mention are defined in
terms of a multi line string but these strings can contain anything, not
just code snippets. There's no need for parenthesis or oven quotation
marks, it's very lax. It looks much more like free text than a
structured language.

--
Daniel Fleischer