Re: server.el test failures

From: Robert Pluim
Subject: Re: server.el test failures
Date: Tue, 28 Feb 2023 14:05:50 +0100

    >> #4  0x00005555556a629b in x_term_init
    >> (display_name=display_name@entry=XIL(0x5555560152d4),
xrm_option=xrm_option@entry=0x0, resource_name=0x555556010260 "emacs") at
xterm.c:30964
    >> #5  0x00005555556a96c7 in Fx_open_connection
(display=XIL(0x5555560152d4), xrm_string=<optimized out>, must_succeed=XIL(0))
at xfns.c:7548

    Eli> Why does make-frame create a GUI X frame in a batch session?  (I've
    Eli> seen that in your previous backtrace, but thought it was because you
    Eli> ran that test in an interactive session.)  Is that because emacsclient
    Eli> and/or server insist on that, or because some snafu inside make-frame,
    Eli> or something else?  Can you figure that out?  I looked at the code,
    Eli> but didn't see anything obvious.

DISPLAY is set. The following

    set environment DISPLAY=

in gdb makes the test succeed.

The test does 'emacsclient -c', changing that to 'emacsclient -c -nw'
also makes the test succeed

    Eli> I don't think we should create GUI frames in batch, since the SIGIO
    Eli> handler is not set, and we generally aren't prepared for receiving
    Eli> it.  We should create a TTY frame instead, or maybe no frame at all.

I think the former would be better. Jim, since you wrote this test,
what do you think?

Robert