Re: Android input methods

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Android input methods
Date: Tue, 14 Feb 2023 19:01:34 +0200

> From: Po Lu <luangruo@yahoo.com>
> Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org
> Date: Tue, 14 Feb 2023 23:14:45 +0800
>
> Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:
>
> > Which is why IME should be turned off in that case.  For comparison,
> > no one in their right mind will type "mmm" in that case while some
> > Leim input method is active, right?
>
> Yes.  I've not had the time to check, but all of these modes derive from
> `special-mode' now, right?

They should.  But note that those modes could enter recursive-edit in
the minibuffer or elsewhere, and let users edit parts of the display,
in which case we do want the IME back on.

> > Don't know yet.  I suggest to have some variable that Lisp can bind to
> > control this.  Then we'll find the cases where it is needed as we go.
>
> OK, I will implement input method support along the lines of what was
> discussed here.

Thanks.  I understand that, if single-key input is expected, we are
talking about some intermediate hidden buffer, used to compare what
the IME produces with what was there before, and emit synthetic
keystrokes, is that right?