Re: Request to backport fix for CVE-2022-45939 to Emacs 28

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Request to backport fix for CVE-2022-45939 to Emacs 28
Date: Mon, 13 Feb 2023 22:47:07 +0200

> Date: Mon, 13 Feb 2023 12:15:50 -0600
> From: Troy Hinckley <comms@dabrev.com>
>
> My company will not allow an install of Emacs 28 due to CVE-2022-45939. There
> is a patch for this in the
> master branch, but it did not make it in time for Emacs 28.2. We have many
> Emacs users who would like to
> upgrade to 28. What would be the effort to back port this fix and do an Emacs
> 28.3 release?

Unfortunately, we don't have the resources to produce another v28.x
release.  Emacs 29.1 will start its pretest soon, and will have this
issue resolved when it is released, hopefully in a couple of months.

Alternatively, you could ask the distro which you are using (if you
are using a distro) to backport that patch to the Emacs 28 codebase.
Or patch the sources yourself and build Emacs, if that is how you
produce the binaries.