Re: A feature to go to last edit locations

From: Dr. Arne Babenhauserheide
Subject: Re: A feature to go to last edit locations
Date: Mon, 13 Feb 2023 00:54:16 +0100

Daniel Martín <mardani29@yahoo.es> writes:

> andrés ramírez <rrandresf@hotmail.com> writes:
>
>> Hi. Guys.
>>     Eli> In any case, whatever method of deducing automatically which place
>> to record, I think it's
>>     Eli> better to build the feature on top of registers, since they are
>> already equipped for saving
>>     Eli> and restoring locations.
>>
>> evil-mode has gi (go to the last inserting point and enters
>> insert-mode). I am a former evil-mode user.
>>
>> Could that implementation be ported to emacs?
>
> I see that Evil uses the NonGNU ELPA package goto-chg
> (https://elpa.nongnu.org/nongnu/goto-chg.html) to implement that
> functionality.

I use that package outside Evil all the time. Any mode that clobbers the
shortcut I assigned to it (C-.) blocks my productivity a lot. That’s the
main reason why I don’t have flyspell active while writing emails.

It only works inside buffers, but with ido for changing buffers and
dumb-jump/xref support for jumping back after cross-file navigation, I
don’t need more. This jumping back after an explicit cross-file
navigation command is actually closer to what I need than what intellij
offers. I don’t want to go back to the buffer I selected via
switch-buffer, but if "find reference" takes me to another file, I need
a way to jump back.

Best wishes,
Arne
--