Re: [nongnu] elpa/nix-mode 91a317e425 2/2: Merge pull request #176 from

From: Basil L. Contovounesios
Subject: Re: [nongnu] elpa/nix-mode 91a317e425 2/2: Merge pull request #176 from lafrenierejm/reformatter
Date: Thu, 09 Feb 2023 11:17:51 +0000

Matthew Bauer [2023-02-08 17:31 -0600] wrote:

>> I think that is the best solution here, yes.  Patches welcome, but
>> meanwhile perhaps this should be reported as a bug so we don't lose
>> track of it.
>
> To clarify, you are saying nix-mode should not depend on reformatter for it
> to work in ELPA?

Yes, there should be no hard dependency, at least while reformatter
continues to be unavailable in Emacs proper, GNU ELPA, or NonGNU ELPA.

Meanwhile, it is okay for nix-mode to use reformatter on the condition
that the latter is already installed, as an optional dependency.

> We can definitely revert the commit that introduced reformatter and avoid the
> dependency,
> but I want to make sure I understand correctly.

That's one option, but another solution is for reformatter to be added
to [Non]GNU ELPA, assuming its author and the [Non]GNU ELPA maintainers
are in favour of that (I have not yet found the time to pursue this).

Thanks,

--
Basil