Thoughts on adding customization options for built in scheme-mode?

From: Gerry Pipes
Subject: Thoughts on adding customization options for built in scheme-mode?
Date: Tue, 7 Feb 2023 17:22:57 +0000

Hello,

The built in scheme mode with emacs is great! I was looking at it and I was
wondering if there was any interest/opposition in adding a few customization
options that would make it more flexible for different implementations?

There is already a customization option for scheme-program-name so I was
thinking a few more could be added to support different implementations.

The ones I’m most interested in would be allowing the command for
- scheme-load-file
- scheme-compile-file
To be customized. Right now they are hard-coded as (load filename) and
(compile-file filename).

I like to program in racket and the built in scheme mode works great except
racket prefers “enter!” to “load”. I know racket is technically a descendant of
scheme and not what scheme-mode was intended for, but I think adding a
“scheme-load-file-command” option would be unobtrusive and add some flexibility
to the mode. Another example would be using Chicken scheme’s “load-noisily”
over “load” or something like that.

Anyways I know there are a hundred packages like slime, geiser, racket-mode
that do all this stuff but having to add Melpa and download a package just for
that to be the only thing I want to tweak makes we wish I could just customize
scheme-mode a tiny bit more.

The change would very small just be replacing those hardcoded strings with
defcustom strings. I also know that those commands are built in to the r#rs
standard so I completely understand if this is something people don’t want to
add customization options for and anything that doesn’t use these should use
it’s own mode.

Thank you for your time reading this email and thank you for your time helping
with the best editor in the world,
Gerry

Sent from my iPhone