Re: MinGW build on master fails with Error 127

From: Óscar Fuentes
Subject: Re: MinGW build on master fails with Error 127
Date: Sat, 24 Dec 2022 20:23:05 +0100

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

>> > So what are the details?  Which versions of Windows does MSYS2
>> > support,
>>
>> Since about 1 week ago, the minimum requirement is Windows 8.1. Hardware
>> requirements were also recently upgraded. A CPU from 2007 onwards should
>> be fine:
>>
>> https://www.msys2.org/news/#2022-10-18-new-minimum-hardware-requirements-cpus-from-20067
>
> And the MinGW64 folks now informed me that MinGW64 switched to
> Windows 10 as the default target about a year ago.  See
>
>   https://github.com/msys2/MINGW-packages/issues/14573#issuecomment-1364569522
>
> Which in practice means building with MinGW64 on versions of
> MS-Windows older than 10 is no longer safe ore recommended.
>
> I updated the installation instructions and PROBLEMS to that effect.

As I just commented on the Github discussion, MinGW-w64 just set the
configure-time default for the target OS version. It still supports
previous versions. Also, MinGW-w64 distributes source, while MSYS2
distributes binaries. And the MinGW-w64 binaries distributed by MSYS2
sets the target OS version to 8.1