Re: Adding the `prescient` packages to NonGNU ELPA?

From: Philip Kaludercic
Subject: Re: Adding the `prescient` packages to NonGNU ELPA?
Date: Sat, 17 Dec 2022 16:24:23 +0000

>>> The only issue I can think about is if later on someone else wants to
>>> add a package that depends on a specific "sub-package", and they find
>>> themselves in a conflict specifying their dependency list, in case this
>>> hypothetical package is to be distributed both via ELPA and MELPA.
>>
>> Not our problem?
>
> So let it be written, so let it be done.
>
> I will prepare the package with everything bundled into a single
> package, and see if that works out.

As I had suspected, the main issue is that byte-compilation fails:

make -k packages/prescient
Byte compiling packages/prescient/company-prescient.el
Error loading autoloads: (file-missing Cannot open load file No such file or
directory /home/philip/Source/nongnu/packages/elfeed/elfeed-autoloads)

In toplevel form:
packages/prescient/company-prescient.el:29:2: Error: Cannot open load file: No
such file or directory, company
make: *** [GNUmakefile:119: packages/prescient/company-prescient.elc] Error 1
Byte compiling packages/prescient/corfu-prescient.el
Error loading autoloads: (file-missing Cannot open load file No such file or
directory /home/philip/Source/nongnu/packages/elfeed/elfeed-autoloads)

In toplevel form:
packages/prescient/corfu-prescient.el:27:2: Error: Cannot open load file: No
such file or directory, corfu
make: *** [GNUmakefile:119: packages/prescient/corfu-prescient.elc] Error 1
Byte compiling packages/prescient/ivy-prescient.el
Error loading autoloads: (file-missing Cannot open load file No such file or
directory /home/philip/Source/nongnu/packages/elfeed/elfeed-autoloads)

In toplevel form:
packages/prescient/ivy-prescient.el:32:2: Error: Cannot open load file: No such
file or directory, ivy
make: *** [GNUmakefile:119: packages/prescient/ivy-prescient.elc] Error 1
Byte compiling packages/prescient/selectrum-prescient.el
Error loading autoloads: (file-missing Cannot open load file No such file or
directory /home/philip/Source/nongnu/packages/elfeed/elfeed-autoloads)

In toplevel form:
packages/prescient/selectrum-prescient.el:27:2: Error: Cannot open load file:
No such file or directory, selectrum
make: *** [GNUmakefile:119: packages/prescient/selectrum-prescient.elc] Error 1
Byte compiling packages/prescient/vertico-prescient.el
Error loading autoloads: (file-missing Cannot open load file No such file or
directory /home/philip/Source/nongnu/packages/elfeed/elfeed-autoloads)

In toplevel form:
packages/prescient/vertico-prescient.el:29:2: Error: Cannot open load file: No
such file or directory, vertico
make: *** [GNUmakefile:119: packages/prescient/vertico-prescient.elc] Error 1
make: Target 'packages/prescient' not remade because of errors.

But I guess this can be resolved upstream, if there is an interest.
Other than that, the tarball has a lot of administrative files.  I'd
recommend adding an .elpaignore: