Transpose-words or transpose-sexps change?

From: Theodor Thornhill
Subject: Transpose-words or transpose-sexps change?
Date: Sat, 17 Dec 2022 13:36:50 +0100

Hi!

In the current Emacs master, 'transpose-words' has a fixme:

  ;; FIXME: `foo a!nd bar' should transpose into `bar and foo'.

To me this looks like a job for transpose-sexps, not transpose-words.

Would you consider a patch to transpose-sexps that would behave like
this:

1. `foo a!nd bar' should transpose into `bar and foo'.
2. `foo !and bar' should transpose into `and foo bar'.
3. `foo! and bar' should transpose into `and foo bar'.
4. `foo a!nd bar baz' should transpose into `baz and bar foo'. (if prefix arg
is 2)

I plan to make the function to create the input points for
'transpose-subr-1' such as this for case 1:

     foo a|nd bar

instead of:

     foo a|nd bar
         ^   ^^  ^

What do you think?  Would this have some adverse impact to other
languages, such as lisp or others?

Theo