Re: Multiple references to a footnote in texi sources

From: Ihor Radchenko
Subject: Re: Multiple references to a footnote in texi sources
Date: Tue, 13 Dec 2022 13:34:34 +0000

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

>> I am now looking at
>> https://www.gnu.org/software/texinfo/manual/texinfo/html_node/Footnote-Commands.html
>> and I feel slightly confused about how to refer to the same footnote
>> from multiple places.
>>
>> Is it possible at all in texinfo?
>
> No.  Each @footnote directive creates a new footnote and a reference
> to it.

Thanks for the clarification. I was wondering if ox-texinfo is wrong, or
it is the limitation.

> (It is really unusual to have several footnote references to the same
> footnote.  Usually, you do this once, and then assume the reader
> already knows what the footnote says and doesn't need repetition.)

In this particular case, I was writing a manual patch that clarifies
about some defcustoms not being available until the discussed library is
loaded. Multiple places in the manual can share the same footnote in
such scenario.

--
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,
Org mode contributor,