RE: [External] : Re: best practices for implementing Emms configuration

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: [External] : Re: best practices for implementing Emms configuration
Date: Sat, 10 Dec 2022 17:56:56 +0000

> > AFAIK people who don't like/want Emacs to edit their manually-edited
> > config file (such as myself) should and do set `custom-file` accordingly.
>
> Over the years, the people I've helped set up Emms have almost always
> been people who don't know elisp at all (makes sense when you think
> about it). I think that the people who know about, and use `custom-file'
> are also the people who don't need help setting up Emms.
> However, that doesn't mean that you are wrong.

There were a few long threads about changing to have
use of `custom-file' be the default behavior.  See, e.g.,

https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2022-01/msg00484.html

https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2022-01/msg00772.html

> > So the better option seems very definitely to just save the config via
> > Custom: that's what it's for.
>
> I'll look at cus-edit.el to see how I can leverage Custom to do the
> saving and loading for me outside of the customize interface. I don't
> use it and am ignorant of it.

This might also be of interest or help:

https://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/CustomizingAndSaving