Re: scratch/backend-completion 9a62da21c2 1/2: Integrate Stefan suggesti

From: João Távora
Subject: Re: scratch/backend-completion 9a62da21c2 1/2: Integrate Stefan suggestions but rename it to "external-completion.el"
Date: Sun, 4 Dec 2022 20:04:27 +0000

On Sun, Dec 4, 2022, 16:54 Stefan Monnier <monnier@iro.umontreal.ca> wrote:

There's one I can think of: SLY, because there external tool's
completion code can be tweaked to fit the needs of Emacs :-)

For most others it's probably difficult, indeed, which is why
I suggested to make it optional (unless you know how the tool
does its matching in which case you may be able to re-use
`completion-pcm--merge-try` or to implement something similar).

Yup, this rhymes exactly with what I wrote in the docstring in the latest version.  I understand how it could be used now. Another question is if I as SLY author would use it. I don't think so, to be honest, seems to much hassle for not a lot of benefit. But others may want to, of course.

> Else, I think we end up contacting the external tool one too many times for
> the same PATTERN. That's at least with the popular completion front-ends
> such as fido/vertico who probably go for the 'allc' immediately.

The default UI uses either tryc (when you hit TAB) or allc (when you
ask the see *Completions*) not both.

Yes and eventually if you hit TAB twice that's two requests. So we need caching. But that's fine, I've implemented that already. Have a look at the latest commit when you find the time.

João